Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hello Who Is This? Who?

I got a very interesting call yesterday morning on the Baby Thoughts phone...a reporter from CBC.

You read correctly...The Canadian Broadcasting Channel. Needless to say I was really really surprised and a little exited to be receiving a call from a reporter on the company phone.

It turns out that the CBC was doing a story on crib sleeping vs. co-sleeping. I was informed that they needed to find a mother with a young baby to shoot putting them to sleep in their crib and she was wondering if I could suggest someone. My mind goes blank. Panic sets in because being the kind of person that I am I really really want to help this women. But I can't think of anyone who has recently given birth.

Then eureka, I do have a friend who has a 5 month old, I ask reporter-lady whether this is too old or not. Not. So I call, she is not answering. Fudge. Then it hits me, one of my really good friends has a friend who lives in the neighbourhood who just had a baby girl. Perfect.

I give her a call and thankfully she tells me that she will ask her friend, it turns out she would be happy to do it. I call reporter-lady back and give her the info and we say our goodbyes.

Unfortunately I missed the segment, it was ran during the National yesterday at 10pm but I called my good friend to see how the filming had gone and whether she had been able to catch it.

It turns out that they were doing a story on the statistics around SIDS and co-sleeping. I did co-sleeping, does this make me an irresponsible mother? It turns out that I was playing with fire and putting Isa at risk. To be honest at the time all I wanted to do was sleep and THE only way that that child would sleep was by hearing my freaking heart beat all night long.

I felt a little defensive, my friend said that though they did not come out and explicitly say that co-sleeping is BAD it was quite obvious what side of the fence they where on. I think that I just took things a tad too personal. I wont go any further with this topic in this post because I just don't have the time to do it justice. Maybe, I will post about my adventures with sleep and Isa at a later date. Lets just say there were not all rosy.

But all is good, the important thing is that I was able to help this CBC reporter and hopefully (keeping fingers and toes crossed) she may remember me and who knows she may one day come calling.

No comments: