Thursday, June 14, 2007

Couch Potato...and Chicken

A couple of weeks ago I started something that may be coming back to bite me in the you-know-what. I have to blame it on being just a little frustrated, tired and hot due to another adventurous trip home on the transit system.

Usually after we get home from the day care, I prepare Isa's food and she eats it at her high chair watching the Treehouse channel. Try not to judge, because frankly I use the time to get our own meal prepared or to do something else. Well, needless to say she usually gets so distracted by the show that it takes her almost an hour to finish her dinner. That day I just could not wait for her to be finished and so I did something different. I sat her at the couch and fed her. I know, I know BAD idea. I don't have to tell you how much she enjoyed that. So now every time that I just want to get food into her and don't feel like fighting with her to eat, we sit at the couch and watch whatever show is on the Food Network. She is usually done eating within one show and she eats everything and anything I put in front of her mouth.

Well yesterday I wanted to see if you if she would have a preference for either eating in her chair or on the couch. I know that it is probably quite obvious, who would not like to eat in front of the tv while being fed by their mother. But I was curious to see if she would actually communicate her preference. Well, she did. She got up on the couch sat in her usual spot and patted the spot were I sit and said 'comima' which is her world for food. Smart little bugger, isn't she? But wait, there is more, it seams that she wanted to be an independent little one because she insisted on feeding herself. That's right, she wanted to sit on the couch and feed herself.

Needless to say, we will not be having a repeat eating session on the couch from now on. It will be dinners at the high chair with her feeding herself and probably tv . I will just have to deal with the constant reminding to eat and the hour long sessions but at least she will be eating by herself in her highchair. Two out of three is better than nothing.

1 comment:

Her Bad Mother said...

Dude. We totally turn on Treehouse while WB eats on those fussy days when NOTHING is getting done. Totally.

No judgment here. You do what works.