Tuesday, April 17, 2007

18 Months Going On 13 Years

I was catching up on my favourite blogs and as I was reading Motherbumper's post on the things her little bumper does, it got me thinking about all the things that Isa has started to do and before they get lost in my memories I want to write them down.

I am happy to say that her repertoire of words has grown, she now says, UP, teche (milk), pio pio ( bird), mas (more), papa (dad), pan (bread) and some times she says mama. I have to admit that I don't know all the English words that she may know as I try not to speak to her in English. 'Up' is the only word that I actually encourage or don't correct with the correct Spanish words as it is an easy word and she uses it quite a lot.

Though her speaking is in the early stages, her comprehension is just amazing. She understand perfectly what we ask of her in both languages. She is able to follow directions and to perform small tasks. For instance she goes to the bathroom when I tell her that it is bath time. She goes to her chair when it is time to eat, when she is done and I ask her if she wants more food she picks up her plate and says 'mas'. She gets her shoes from the mat by the door when we ask her to, and even puts them there after we come home. Not even the Husband does that.

It is not only that she follows directions or that she comprehends but that she now communicates to us what her wants are. She tell us when she wants to go outside by grabbing her jacket and getting her shoes. She tells you whether she wants water or milk with her meals and lets you know that she would like to play with you by grabbing your hand and taking you to her room where her toys are.

It is incredible how far she has come and I have to agree with a good friend of mine who has a 4 year old son, these are some of the best times. But they can also be hard because they are starting to get frustrated and so the tantrums have come into the picture. She is like a little teenager one minute she is happy and the next she is having a melt down.

but it is all good, it is all part of growing up.


No comments: