Friday, May 04, 2007

My Mamá

With all the commercials about Mother's Day, I have been thinking a lot about my own mom. My mom lives in Nicaragua, she has been there for almost 7 years now and to be very honest I miss her a great deal.

I never had a bad relationship with my mother, we were always close and I thank her for always being there for me and making sure that I knew it. I have to say without a doubt that she did an excellent job of raising all three of us. She is one of those people that when shit hits the fan she does not freak out. Instead she pulls herself together and says 'with some hard work and time we will get this cleaned up'. In fact she was able to pull herself together(and all of us) when we first moved to Canada as refugees not knowing a word of English, having no family and only a distance acquaintance. She was able to pull herself together when her dream of moving back to her homeland and living a more relaxed life completely evaporated into thin air. And more importantly she was able to pull herself together when her marriage of almost 30 years came to an end.

I admire her immensely and I try to be the optimistic person that she is. Someone who always believes that every problem has a solution, you just have to be willing to work hard at it.

I miss my mom. I miss her quite a lot but in just a few short months she will be returning to Canada. There is no doubt that this is the place where she should be, all her children are here and more importantly Isa is here.

Here is to my mom, whom I love so much and miss much more.

No comments: